Built in 1917, this outdated structure could no longer support the district’s growing kindergarten and pre-school population. To increase the student capacity, DCM designed an addition with 24 classrooms and a new kitchen. A portion of the existing building was salvaged and renovated for administrative and support spaces. The building was designed to obtain LEED Silver certification and places particular emphasis on daylighting. In addition, the original asphalt play area was replaced with a grassy area for children to play in, equipped with a new playground and children’s garden.